viernes, 19 de agosto de 2022

Making Xena replicas: Xena Hero Sword

 After a few weeks working on the Xena sword finally I got it finished! Well, its been a hard job: 


Firstly, I have decided to make a resin sword with a cast of my screenused Xena sword, the main problem was that my screenused sword is a retractable one of a kind and I had to used just the handle piece of it. 

Then, I have cast the Todd's Costumes blade and make a few modifications to be differentiate from the original one, and do it as much accurate as I can to the screen used swords seen on the series.

Then, when the raw resin prototype was finished (no paua shells, no painting and no leather wrapping) I gave it to a blacksmith company that made the piece in raw metal. 

When I received the metal sword I had to sand it carefully, before painting I have to add the round concho that is originally attached to the pommel in the screenused sword. So, it was another challenge to find that specific piece, but I did, same size and shape. So, I had to attach the concho to the pommel before it is was painted.

Left to right: Prop replica / Screenused sword

To paint the handle in the right color was an absolutely nightmare. I found plenty of spray mixed tones: light gold, old gold, copper, gold copper... but the the color that I was searching for was a kind of orange gold tone, just the screenused Xena swords seen in the last seasons of the tv series. Finally, I had to order a special spray that mixed the orange gold tone with an extra 10% of yellow/gold painting. And finally, I got it! Was difficult but not imposible. Although, I have another metal raw sword that probably I will try to make the early season painting on it.

Then, I used black and green acrylic painting to make the aged effect and the final step was adding the paua shell in both sides and in the pommel. I already had a few of them at home so that was easy.


Hope you enjoy reading this post. See you soon with more updates!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario